Owners often ask us, “How do I get my athletes to use SugarWOD?”
It’s a good question, and fortunately, the answer is pretty simple. As SugarWOD customer Amy Brackett of CrossFit North Marin puts it:
“Be the example. Use it often. Constantly remind athletes to track their workouts.”
Your coaches help people change their habits every day. Using SugarWOD is just another positive habit for coaches to reinforce.
5 Ways Coaches Can Introduce SugarWOD to Athletes
For SugarWOD to do its job in your gym, you need to get everyone on board. Here are 5 things you can ask your coaches to do:
- Log their results.
- Give fist bumps to each other and to athletes.
- Encourage athletes to prep for their workouts before class using SugarWOD.
- Remind athletes to log their scores after class in the SugarWOD app.
- Comment on athletes’ results with encouragement and feedback.
Think about it: If all of your coaches commented on 3 or more athlete results every day, they would be able to connect with all your athletes in just a couple of weeks!
This kind of interaction will grow your community and foster the social connections needed to support a healthy gym and high retention.
Sharing the Value of SugarWOD With Your Coaches
To get your coaches on board with SugarWOD, we recommend that you share why you chose to use it. Some of these reasons may resonate with you:
- To understand and support your athletes better.
- To create a well-connected community.
- To keep athletes engaged through workout tracking and class prep.
Share these objectives with your coaches to get them invested!
Coach Email Template
Below, we’ve provided an email template you can send to your coaches. You’re welcome to edit the language and make it your own. The important thing is that your coaches know what’s happening and why.
Don’t be afraid to set clear expectations with them. If you and your coaches are on the same page, it’ll be easier to share SugarWOD with your athletes.
Subject line: We’re rolling out SugarWOD!
As you know, our gym is adopting a new workout tracking tool, SugarWOD.
SugarWOD allows us to understand and support our athletes better. It also creates a simple way for all coaches and athletes to track their workout results and prepare for workouts using the Android and iOS mobile app.
(If you haven’t downloaded it on your phone, click the links above to do so.)
For SugarWOD to be effective, our athletes need to be using it. And to get them in that habit, we need to set an example. So, I have a few requests for you:
- Please log your workouts regularly in SugarWOD.
- After each class, remind athletes to log their workouts in SugarWOD.
- Give fist bumps and post comments in SugarWOD to encourage athletes to participate.
Here are some answers to common athlete questions. I suggest you review them so you’re prepared to answer any questions that may come up in class.
Thanks for your help!
Want More Tips?
Here are several other resources to help you, your coaches, and your athletes get the most out of SugarWOD.
- How to Promote SugarWOD to Your Gym
- How To Successfully Launch SugarWOD at Your Box
- How To Roll Out a New Software Feature at Your Gym
This blog was originally posted in January 2017 and was updated in February 2022.